Sunday, November 8, 2009

Heaven Here

First thing I want to blog about is the title of my blog. Over the past couple of years, I have learned to correct terminology and theology for what I knew in my heart to believe. That Jesus came for a lot more reasons than just for us to go to heaven. If so, then turning the other cheek is just a mean joke. He came (to steal a line from Jesus himself) to give us the best possible way of living. (paraphrase John 10:10) It seems like churches (i.e. Christians) are waiting for Heaven to try to make this world a better place, which might be a little too late. It is about now. It is about His kingdom invading this earth. He is about getting rid of all the junk that screams this is not right. How can we eliminate families are living in cars or little girls are being sold for sex? Mothers are destroying kids’ lives because they developed this drug problem to numb the pain they feel. But the simple fact of this world is, it is easier to find a good dope man than it is to find a good church. It is easier to fit in and live for something bigger than yourself in a gang than a youth group. Fatherless kids come in contact with drug lords,and the bosses of gangs rather than mentors and ministers. In Nashville, 90% of all unplaced kids for Big Brothers Big Sisters are 11- to 14-year-old males. That can’t be true. Tony Dungy said last week that the number 1 indicator of a young man going to jail is the absence of his father. You know how many fatherless boys would love to come over to your house and watch the NFL game on Sunday? As many as 20! Trust me, I know. It has been the simplest, most effective ministry that I have done over the last couple of years. Inviting the boys over to my house to watch the Titans game. I have packed living rooms with 20 boys before. Make Kool-aid and cookies (LOTS of cookies), and you will have your very own group of disciples. I’d rather be in my house than anywhere else in the world. Will there feet smell bad when they take off the shoes? YES! Will they stink up your bathroom? YES! Will their mom call and talk to you about raising a teenage boy because they just want to know someone else cares about their boy? YES! Will you pray for them and put their picture up in your house? YES! Will they become your best friends? YES! Will you cry in front of people at their graduation? YES! Will you follow the Savior who calls to make this world a better place?



I believe with all my heart in these following statements:

Better is one day in your courts than 1000 elsewhere!

They will be no more pain, crying, death, or darkness!

This too shall pass!

Oh, death, where is your victory! Oh, death, where is your sting!

We have victory in our Lord Jesus Christ!

In me, you will have peace!

I will be your God and you will be my people!

I come to give life and give it to the fullest!



If you’re a Christian, I bet you believe them with all your heart too. We just have to believe they are meant to be lived by here and there, now and then. The kingdom’s to come and His will be done on earth as it shall be in Heaven!






No comments:

Post a Comment